On December 12, 1776, the Second Continental Congress left Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, to avoid the British advance and went to Baltimore.
From December 20, 1776 to February 27, 1777, the U.S. capital was located at Henry Fite’s
House, which later became known as Old Congress Hall. Henry Fite, a wealthy
German immigrant (known originally as Heinrich Vogt) had built a three-story
brick house on Market Street in 1770. On December 27, 1776, in his home, the
Continental Congress conferred upon General Washington extraordinary powers for
the conduct of the Revolutionary War.
Address: Baltimore Convention and Visitors Association, 100 Light Street, 12th Floor, Baltimore, Maryland 21202;
410-659-7071; 877-Baltimore. Web: http://www.baltimore.org.